Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A nice cup of Tea

If you are cold, tea will warm you. If you are heated, it will cool you. If you are depressed, it will cheer you. If you are excited, it will calm you". - William Gladstone


Ootacamund is known for many things, Dodabetta the highest peak in South India, countless tourist spots, my all time favorite Chinese restaurant, the momos at Tibetan market and the delicious tea. Whenever I go home, I carry a list of things to purchase; among them are the homemade chocolates, Ooty Varkies, etc, etc and Ooty Tea.

I have been drinking tea all my life, and at home, in our monthly purchase, two to three kilos of Tea were always present. I enjoy drinking coffee, but my father say’s Tea is better than coffee. And our guests are always welcomed by a cup of Tea.
During my school days, I remember my grannies, green tea, where she boils the fresh tealeaves in water with palm jaggery, and serves us without straining, the flavor, aroma, stays in our tongue for long, long time. Tough I have worked in tea estates and plucked tealeaves and seen the manufacturing process in our neighbor tea factory, I still do not know the different tea grades, because there are as many grades as possible. But whenever a debate comes, I argued that our Tea (Ooty Tea) is the best.
Comparing is not at all good, my mom compares me with my cousin who is good in academics,( and me VERY GOOD in academics) and I hate comparison. The same thing, I applied to our Tea also, without comparing I argued that our tea is the best. And Arguments are not aliens to us.
Years later, the place is Gujarat and me on my way to morning chai, lazy to walk long; we ended at roadside teashop. The tea was thick and hot, refreshing and flavorful, and my tongue surrendered to that morning tea. (The best tea I ever had, yes or no?) Am I comparing it to our Ooty Tea? No, Not at all, every tea is unique and good in its own way. It’s all in the ratio and the hands, which prepares it. And I will never compare. To end with, a good tea is best suited for all occasions and for every mood.


"There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a nice cup of tea" ~ Bernard-Paul Heroux

No comments: