Sunday, January 16, 2011

No Madachi... Only Cajuchi


I knew what my plans are for the new year, at home doing nothing , and nothing. With nothing in mind I was driving down to coimbatore from ooty, the day is first of January. Around the seventh hair pin bend ,I just remembered what I said to Ms.M, "do not spoil your new year in the college hostel, go somewhere and be happy" I prayed too, for her hostel permission to go Goa with her family. But I did not expect to get a Fenny from Goa, because thats what God asked me for my prayers.

Unlike dushy(my student) who bought Khalua for me from swiss, which lies in his home shelf(do not know when it will reach me), the fenni which Ms.M bought ,came directly to my shelf, made me wait for a perfect day to start, when it comes to Alcohol any time is just perfect. I pray that Ms.M Should make it to Sikkim for the next New year eve, you get good Beetle leaf liqueur there.

"Fenni" - Goa's own drink, have two varieties , one with coconut and another with Cashewnuts, the coconut fenny is the distillation of coconut palm and the fermented juice of cashew apple gives cashew fenny. This is a colorless liquid matured in wooden barrels and gets a golden brown tint, Shake fenny in a bottle or glass and you can see some froth on top, which in Konkani language they call as FEN, and that gives fenny its name. There are around four thousand mini distilleries in Goa which makes fenny. North Goa is more of cashew and South is more of coconut.

Though there are many brands in Goa, the brand Cashyo is the one which spells it Fenni, this triple distilled beverage from Goa has a maximum of forty two percent alcohol by volume, that may sound high, but when you drink ,perhaps you'll not believe it. Coca Cola , tonic water, lemonade and on the rock with slice of lemon is what many suggest, but I preferred it neat, in spite of its strong flavor.

For those who do not like it neat, here are some cocktails, Fenni with apple juice, apple vodka and ice give "Fenny Martini". you mix in seven - up, chilli peppers and ice with fenny you get "Fire & Ice". There is fenny highball, fenny mojito, scarlet letter and groove, fenny with cointru and seven up gives a wonderful cocktail called "KISS". Some final words to end with, as my tongue tasted it, I knew it gives a instant kick, and u'll feel high. If not for the first time, I'm sure you will fall in love second time. Its true that Goa and Fenny cannot be parted and I believe that fenny has its own legacy to tell


Fenny Facts
*"Sattari" - The fenny capital of the region
* Fenny can be added to goan pork dishes
*Reals and Big boss the other good brands of fenni
*the first distillation gives Arrack and the second "Cazole"

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sir, Dont worry, Good things always takes time...It'll reach u soon. Do prayers even for me, the time might go faster and ur mouth could get the taste of Khalua. Call me once u get the first sip in ur mouth of the Cocktail. Njoy!!!Cheers...

sathish vasudevan said...

Wow... no need to say ma prayers is always for u.. i do believe in it... not for the sake of alcohol.. and me just waiting to dial your number

dechen wangmo said...

sir changzey... :)

sathish vasudevan said...

changze deb ge change sap lay shom bay ra ngo shey nu....

dechen said...

haha...:P