Sunday, September 11, 2011

devouringly pork

photo: flicker.com


The woods are dark, deep and dense and we three were expoloring the emotions of coorg , that's when, something got struck in my mind . The humble pork, one will never accept a coorgi cuisine without our Mr.humble in it. The pork meat is expensive than any other and that's what people prefer, one will wonder why the love it, the special masala or the meat itself.

The powdered masala is made of more coriander seeds, less of cumin seeds, mustard seeds, peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon and cardamom. All these were pan broiled and later pounded into a fine powder which is of dark brown color. I got a chance to steal a look in to the ingredients and Thanking Poncha for a Kilograms of that which I am going to infuse in my daily cooking.

Another uniqueness is the Coorgi vinegar, which they call kanchampuli (thick black extract from kudampulli-dried and smoked fruit rinds of the camboge tree).. The sourness is perfect and blends well with the pork meat.. people advised me to substitute with lime juice, its like eating an egg less omlette.

Sometimes I do not like the idleness of spices lying in my shelf ,so i made it go into the pork curry, without much difficulty I found a good place which sell pork meat and the preparation went like this. First boiling pork with pinch of salt, turmeric and some Black coorg vinegar, (a pressure cooker will do better), when the meat is cooked, a mixed paste of ginger, garlic, green chilies and coriander leaves goes in after a good boil add the coorgi spice powder and adjust the seasoning. when the gravy is thick add little more of kanchampuli and remove from flame.

The pork is fine and perfect, only thing is I am tasting it outside coorg and too from a non corrgi hand, but I am sure I will make it next time to Kodagu, just for the indigenous Pork prepared from the native hands.

1 comment:

dechen said...

yummy...)