Thursday, August 27, 2009

From the Chef Gokul Krishnan

After a long time it happened, a menu compiled, prepared and presented by a student. Mr. Gokul Krishnan, the final year student came with a menu for the cooking session, the menu was a fusion with Chicken chowder, Corn fried rice, Pan fried fish, Sichuan vegetables and Chocolate mint mousse, a perfect fusion menu.
The main aim is to involve the students in purchasing, because if your purchasing is bad then, what follows is really bad. I have been insisting the students to come up with their own menu, so that they learn from the scratch, from the menu planning to the purchasing, to the mis en place, preparation and presentation. Where the students demonstrate and everyone learns including the teacher.


Nothing wrong in questioning, when you are in doubt and when we start accepting our mistakes and correct ourselves, learning becomes more interesting. Once a student of mine, corrected me on the pronunciation of Pizza, and Jalapeno. I learned and very much happy about it. Ironically, in many occasions the students become passive listeners and the effective teaching and listening just fades away after thirty to forty minutes.

The fusion menu, was a result of interaction, and a little of inspiration, I said the dishes will be video graphed and I promised to send the video CD’s to hoteliers, I expected at least a couple of them to come up with different menu, only Mr. Gokul saved my expectations from shattering. Now I see student with new menus and suggestions for the future cooking sessions. I strongly believe that they were really interested in cooking than video coverage of their dishes.

Anyways with Gokul’s fusion menu, everything went well, we ate, we ate and most of all we learned. I thank my well-wisher who advised and helped me for the video coverage. I could have started this long before (Video grapy). But, I did not know then, though, I know now what to do.

4 comments:

YUSUF said...

your practical sessions are alwys informative,no doubts about tat.. a person keeps learning till he dies, so keep learning & keep blogging.. all the very best... I HOPE NOW U KNOW WHICH U HAD KWON BEFOR..

sathish vasudevan said...

Thanks Yussi
A comment like this keeps me to post more... HAPPY Bloging

sathish vasudevan said...

Thanks Yussi
A comment like this keeps me to post more... HAPPY Bloging

dechen wangmo said...

its such an innovative work.... hope these fusion dishes ll arouse our taste bud too...