Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Sweet Sunday

Vishnu, my neighbour invited me home for Ganesh Chaturthi, I was not in pink of health, so did my palate. I expected sweets and more sweets and I doubted my palate, becaues when your body temperature is abnornmally high, our own taste buds will deceive us, everything what touches our tongue is bland, just bland.

But with Vishnu's , everything is perfect, tough I had a fever, the taste of the dishes were beyong expectation. with lord Ganesh in mind, I thanked Vishnu for starting my sunday sweet. A glass of hot rice payasam(Kheer) , with some small tiny tempered rice flour dumplings and the delecious sweet which I kept munching and munching.
The recipe is simple and the final dish is impressive. Make a dough with riceflour, salt and water, divide in to even size balls, flatten with palms and stuff it with melted jaggery and grated coconuts, seal it make a dumpling. The dumplings are then steamed for thirty minutes and served either hot or cold. For the savoury part, the same dough is divided into small balls, steamed for thirty minutes and then tempered with mustard, and curry leaves. With a glass of hot rice payasam , everything is perfect. After an hour the taste still lingers in me and my fever gone, I start wondering how?

No comments: