Friday, October 9, 2009

Pancake, pancake & poppyseeds

Whats the name?
The customs of our community in nilgiris are myriad, and the food’s and our eating habits is also the same, there are many who visit our village just to Eat, Eat and Eat. More importance is given to quantity and no wonder many guest get tired, tasting the cup of tea in all our houses. Many from nilgiris know that our community is notable for its hospitality.

I still remember my early years in my village. Those raw plums we pluck, those huts we built with ferns, of all those early memories, and my favorite pancake and the pancake fest are just in front of my eyes. Those pancakes we prepare for the dead ones and cows, the name of the fest is Sakalathy. Star, moon, sun, snake and many things were depicted in front of our houses with ashes from the kitchen, in the center of the front yard a large brass plate with rice; udhaka (badagas gravy) and pancake were presented for the cow, which visit every house to taste, a sign of good luck.

After the cow, it’s the ghost’s turn; it is believed that the dead one’s from each family will eat the pancakes which we throw in to the green bush, and all the little boys join together with handful of pancakes walking towards the south side of village, where it is surrounded with GREEN trees and bushes. As soon as you reach the green, think of your dead grand parents and throw the pancakes in to the wild, I do not know what happens to the pancakes, because we are not suppose to turn back and look at our pancakes.

Today I hardly see any kids with pancakes and I do not see any green trees and bushes, the south parts of our village is crowded with buildings, buildings and buildings. Those were the years gone and it creates a nostalgia in me. The year was 1990 and the name of the village is MANJITHA


Note: the humble pancake contains, refined flour, salt, water, and cooking soda, the batter is then cooked on a griddle, both thin and thick versions are there, for thick pancakes along with abovementioned ingredients sugar, grated coconuts are added. Coconut milk with sugar and poppy seeds accompanies our badagas pancake.

2 comments:

Badagas of the blue mountains said...

First time I am visiting your weblog. Very impressive, though the village image you have displayed at the left top is a photo of mine, in fact the pix is of Akoni. Wished you had given me the credit. I like the post on 'Sakkalathy Habba'. Visited your hatti a lots of times as I have many relatives there. I am making a ref about your blog in my websites www.badaga.in and www.badagas.info.
With best wishes. From Wing Commander Bellie Jayaprakash

sathish vasudevan said...

Thanks a lot for your comment... inspiring words like yours keeps me going.. in fact i have cited the source for the top left picture, which is not being shown....
HAPPY BLOGGING!