Wednesday, March 18, 2009

NO Excuse....

Take some oil, before you enter the buffet, my friend said as he walked out from the buffet counter, why? The rice is very dry to swallow that you may need some oil as a lubricant. I lost my appetite as soon those comments passed from his mouth, the buffet is for 250 people, prepared by NIK (known and a good cook) and I have tasted many a times the dishes prepared by NIK and have heard not a single complaint, but the present buffet… The rice is dry, the gravy is sweet, elastic roti’s, bitter curd rice and the paneer sucks.
My friend’s comments were true, but I couldn’t resist eating, and i was starving literally
(Hungry and Taste ironic isn’t it), I walked with my plate into the kitchen and found NIK in the corner.
Had food… looking at my plate “how’s Food” is what NIK asked as soon as I entered, the word ‘GOOD’ came from my mouth reluctantly, because rather finding fault let me know what’s the fact behind those miserable dishes, I munched one and half elastic roti’s with sweet korma for my hungry stomach.
A week after it’s a same kind of buffet, the dishes were same, and its prepared by the same NIK, the difference is, this time the paneer is fresh, the gravy is rich, roti’s are hot and soft, and no need of any lubricant, enter the buffet with a good palate. After searching NIK for seventeen minutes I found him in his usual place in the corner of the kitchen. I asked him WHY? What’s wrong with the same dishes you prepared last time?
NIK: Equipment, the equipments that I used the other day, were old so the dishes got screwed, ME: but old equipments are well seasoned and also the dishes taste better when u cook with it
NIK: Yes sat, but the flames from the burner were uneven and low
ME: but, the dishes taste good when you cook in a low flame for a long time
NIK: yes sat, I had a tooth ache the other day
ME: toothache! But, what does the toothache have to do with the foods you prepare.
NIK: I had a fight with my wife…
ME: C’mon, you have anything else to say
NIK: yes sat, before the guest comments on my food, I know what my food taste like .The other day, I spoiled the food, it happens sometimes, if the complains are with one or two dishes I try to learn from my mistake, when all the foods are spoiled, I have to find some lame excuse, and I was in a very bad mood last time
ME: so.. What?
NIK: I will not cook in the future, when I have a fight with my wife.


It happens sometimes, tough the ingredients are fresh, and all equipments available, and we, cooking with care and concentration, the food get spoiled leaving us to wonder whether ARTS or SCIENCE went wrong, Our minds blank, without knowing the real answer, has to find some Excuses. LAME Excuses

No comments: