Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The Ingredients of Yeast.

After one hour of teaching about the leavening agents in baking, mote (that’s how everyone call him) had a doubt, I’m very much happy for his presence in my class, tough he is having an hundred percent attendance, Chef what are the ingredients of yeast, is that a doubt? Are you kidding me? What is happening? How do you answer that question? And why do you guys want to learn cooking, when you hate it? (Does he really hate cooking or my nonstop lecture), these words came out from my mouth without a stop. But that’s not the case today he is almost changed now, last night I got a call and it said ‘hello Chef Chintu’ (that’s how mote calls me) I have to join Shangri la next week. Shangri la which means paradise or a land of happiness where people live beyond average lifespan, Shangri la that’s one of the best hotel in Sydney, and I also heard that he is going to join as Chef de partie, and I’m not sure about the cuisine. I felt very much happy for him and prayed the almighty.
What a change from the ingredients of yeast to CDP in Shangri la, it took years for mote to commit himself, for what? To love cooking, to make money, to create a passion. I wondered, when you are with something for a long time, you may be forced to love it. I have seen many who loves cooking when they are in school, they really cook awesome dishes, once a student fused chettinad and Chinese together in a chicken preparation, We have had chicken curd rice and vermicelli rasam in a cookery session, but today is he still cooking, still with an apron? No. He is with Garment Company, ironic isn’t it? The inner talent is there with all the fellow students bringing it out is the difficult task. Many students are not willing to accept their talents and keep searching for something, which is just in front of their eyes. As an executive chef from ITC said, It is very much true that just mere theoretical knowledge does not make a chef. It is his innovation, his devoted desire to turnout novel creations in food and beverage that make him an inspired chef. To me a chef has to meet many gastronomic tastes of the guest, it doesn’t comes all of a sudden, total commitment and the sincere love for the work you do/dishes you prepare counts more. I have invited my beloved friend for dinner tonight and I agree with Kylie kwong that when you cook for someone you love, half of the love you have to show in the dishes you prepare, its time for mis en place, and I’m signing off…

HAPPY COOKING!

No comments: